BELMONT LIGHT SMART CHARGING AND BRING YOUR OWN CHARGER PROGRAMS
Why go electric?
Belmont Drives Electric can connect residents to the state and federal rebates and incentives to subsidize at-home charging. These discounts along with the lower operating costs are the reason why EVs are more affordable than many gasoline-powered cars.
- The MOR-EV rebate is awarded once you fill out the application.You can expect to receive the rebate 2-3 months after submission.
- Lower operating costs- Maintenance on electric vehicles is cheaper than that of gasoline vehicles thanks to regenerative braking, fewer moving parts, and no fluid replacements.
- Save time (and money) by skipping the gas station. Plug your car in at home over night and start the day fully fueled. Never worry about visiting a gas station.
- Nationwide, gasoline use makes up about 20% of total greenhouse gas emissions. In 2014, total carbon dioxide emissions from gasoline added up to 1,077 million metric tons. Carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gas emissions are responsible for changing the makeup of earth’s atmosphere and climate patterns. (visit eia.gov for more information)
- Electric vehicles release no tailpipe emissions, improving the local air quality.
- Cradle-to-grave, EVs reduce greenhouse gas emissions by more than 50%. (Visit Union of Concerned Scientists for more information)
- Electric vehicles provide nearly twice the carbon savings of a residential rooftop solar system.
- Belmont Light is increasing the amount of renewable generation each year, to achieve 100% renewable by 2022. See our Power Portfolio for more details
- Plug-in EVs offer a smooth and quiet ride and generally have quicker acceleration than gasoline vehicles.
- Avoiding the gas pump means greater energy independence and reducing our dependence on imported oil.
I HAVE AN ELECTRIC VEHICLE! WHAT ARE MY CHARGING OPTIONS?
A. Level 1 Charging – Anyone has the option to charge their vehicle on a household 110 volt outlet. All EVs come with the appropriate cord allowing you to simply plug your vehicle into the wall. This option, known as “trickle charging,” is very slow and may take up to 15 hours to charge your vehicle. It works best for plug-in hybrids with small batteries, or people who do not drive much each day
B. Level 2 Charging – Most people will choose to install a level 2 charger, which will charge the vehicles much faster than the 110 volt. These chargers come at 240 volts and range in amperage.
$250 CHARGING EQUIPMENT REBATE
Belmont Light is offering a $250 rebate for WiFi-enabled level 2 charging equipment. The following models are currently eligible:
To claim your rebate, email EnergyResources@BelmontLight.com after you purchase and install your charger.
I INSTALLED MY LEVEL 2 CHARGER AT HOME. WHAT REBATES CAN I GET FOR CHARGING DURING OFF-PEAK HOURS?
Belmont residents with a Level 2 electric vehicle charger (240V) may be eligible for a new pilot program. If you are interested in enrolling or for more information, please contact us at 617-993-2837 or EnergyResources@BelmontLight.com.
BELMONT DRIVES ELECTRIC
Belmont Light has partnered with Belmont Drives Electric (BDE) to promote the use of smart chargers for electric vehicles. Find out more information about the Belmont Drives Electric by clicking here.
BDE will help you find a certified electrician to connect the charger to your electrical panel and complete the installation. Email them at BelmontDrivesElectric@gmail.com if you have any questions about this process. Make sure to drop by an upcoming BDE event to drive an electric car, talk with Belmont residents who own electric vehicles, and learn about our Smart Charger Program.
Check out BDE’s Facebook page for news and future events!